Thursday, January 24, 2013

Extra Credit MLKJ Post 1/24/13



            I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the Martin Luther King Jr. panel discussion earlier today. There was a huge diversity in not only the speakers but throughout the audience as well. The diversity piece of the discussion is what really stood out to me. One of the first speakers talked about how she attended a play in China about Martin Luther King Jr. I was actually shocked that people in China had not only heard about him, but cared enough to put on a play about him. She described how the play company had to negotiate with the communist Chinese government in order to be allowed to perform the play. I was surprised that people in other countries cared this much about race equality in America, especially countries like China that are predominantly only one race. Her speech reminded me of my trip to South Africa a couple years ago, my family went to an Apartheid museum and before the trip I had never even heard of it before. I learned the basics about MLK in elementary school, but I never learned about other countries racial equality. I did briefly learn about the caste system in India but not even close to enough about it to perform a play about it. At least one if not two of the panelists where from foreign countries and I was surprised at the vast knowledge they had about Martin Luther King Jr. I don’t know if they learned about him when they came to the United States but today I definitely was enlightened by the fact that many other countries know a lot about Martin Luther King Jr. It got me thinking about how many global heroes there are that I probably don’t know about. How had I not heard of the Apartheid before a few years ago, why is that injustice not something we learn about in school. I don’t know if it goes back to what we talked about in class, The United States is egocentric and we tend to only learn about ourselves, but I think it is a shame I haven’t learned more about other heroes like Martin Luther King Jr., especially in a country so rich with other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment